Saturday, December 24, 2005

Holy Crap

A few days ago it came to my attention that I had a lot of work to do to really get this started. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about all the work.

What do I have to do, really? Here's a list of things:

  1. Quit my job
  2. Buy a plane ticket
  3. Buy a guide book for the place where the plane tickets will take me
  4. Move out of my apartment
At a glance this doesn't seem like much. Really, as it turns out two out of the four were remarkable easy. Buying stuff is pretty easy. It's just like throwing money at a problem. It's the first one and the last one that are presenting some problems.

I thought quitting my job would be easy, a no brainer, a walk in the park. Give my notice, hand off my projects and just walk away. This was true, until I had a brief conversation with the VP of sales in the men's room.

First off, the men's room is not a place I like to have a conversation with the VP of sales. Nor anyone, really. People should just not talk in there. There should be at least an illusion of privacy. It makes the conversation seem really awkward.

Secondly, I've made my decision. Nothing is more awkward than having a conversation that involves trying to change my mind about a course of action such as this. I don't want to say anything that leads one on, but I also don't want to be an asshole (which, as we know, I don't care much for assholes). Unfortunately, this leaves me saying very little and being very vague, until I can just extricate myself from the conversation.

Easy in this case: flush, wash up, leave men's room.

A few days later, however, I run into the VP of sales in the men's room again (what, are we on the same schedule?). He tells me how I'm on the table, they need my skills, blah, blah, blah, I should go talk to the CEO.

First off, I'm not going to take any sort of counter offer. I like to think that it's a done deal and that I don't have a price in this. It's a dream of mine to do this, so there shouldn't be anything anyone can offer me otherwise.[1]

Second off[2], I'm quitting. Does he not get how this whole thing works? People should be coming to me with offers, ideas, questions, reasons I should stay, etc. That's how supply and demand works, right?

Thirdmost[3], I've bought my tickets. It's a bit of a crutch answer but, thank God, I've got a little bit of a shield to hide behind. Easier to say no.

The other hard bit from my list of Things To Do is moving out of my apartment. That is a whole other subject and one that will probably be occupying much of this blog for the next month or so.



[1] Ok, so silly amounts of money would do it. Everyone has a price, right?

[2] What's with all the numbered reasons this time around?

[3] Thirdmost? Is that even a word? Spellchecker doesn't seem to think so. But then, blogger's spellchecker couldn't tell that "coversation" was a misspelling of "conversation". I like the sound of it, though. "Thirdmost." For several reasons...oh, wait, enough lists.

No comments: