Monday, January 16, 2006

Holiday Blues

I think it has to do with the fact that it's a holiday today, but this place is crowded. I mean packed, people practically hanging from the tin ceiling.

All I want on a Monday morning is a quiet cup of joe.

I'm surprised by all the people, really. It's MLK day, after all. Not really one of those holidays that I've ever had the day off. But I suppose it's all the people who get bank and postal holidays.

The nice thing about today is this: I think I've turned that corner. I'm not really thinking about work anymore. Slowly, my mind is freeing up resources in order to work on other things. I'm actually able to read technical stuff and not frame it with my previous projects.

This is a big step. It like getting over a bad habit or a failed relationship. It's that moment where you know that you're free to get on with things. Granted it took a little longer than I expected, but really two weeks isn't so bad. I've heard a theory about relationships, on this score. It takes about a month per year in the relationship to really get over it. Perhaps, with work it's the same, only in weeks. I had been at the company for two years, so two weeks make sense.

It terms of future work, I had something really interesting mentioned to me the other night. It would mean cutting travel short after Argentina, which I'm not sure I'm willing to do. If the job is compelling enough, though, I'll have to consider it.

Too early to tell...

No comments: