Monday, January 02, 2006

Mild Case of the Freakouts

I did actually freak out. Just a little bit. I stopped by a friends house briefly, just to say happy new year, etc. on Saturday. As with most people I've run into, he asked me how I feel about it. I explained (as I have to everyone else) about how it hadn't it yet, probably not until Monday.

And then it hit me.

A small bit, a bubble really, of panic slid out from that part of my brain that usually is brimming with anxiety. My heart began to race, my breathing quickened. I really suddenly needed a drink.

Now, I'm not normally one to need a drink to calm my nerves but, damn, it helped. Just one was all that was needed. That is really the remarkable thing about all this. Maybe it's a sign of maturity. I had a momentary lapse in my usually calm demeanor, and it was reset by a glass of random red. After that, no more worries.

It seems like it should be one of those things that I should continue to worry about. I never let myself worry about travel. I tend to forget about the whole trip until I get on the plan. I really think it's a defense mechanism. Sort of like the way that we forget pain so as not to paralyze us from doing anything else in life. If I had to think about it I would never get on that plane.

Now the plane ride, there's a place for some anxiety overflow...

No comments: